It all began with a dream…and YouTube
A little while ago, I happened across a Facebook group called FLOOD The Streets With Art, whose goal is to encourage people to create art and drop it for strangers on Black Friday. Art and kindness instead of commercialism and fighting over a discount TV – gotta love it. I wanted to participate but didn’t think I couldn’t really contribute anything. After all, I wasn’t artistic. Never been able to draw anything other than stick figures and if I tried to paint a landscape it looked remarkably like a preschooler’s attempt, only less concise. But as a friend once said: “With the right tools and access to YouTube you can teach yourself anything.” So I watched a few videos, got me some supplies from the craft store and gave it a shot. The rest, as they say, is history. My hope with The Idiot Artist is that you, too, will find that you can make art, because if this idiot can do it, any idiot can do it.
My name is Kelly and I’m an idiot. Maybe that’s not entirely fair, but when it comes to art, it’s a pretty accurate statement. I have no formal training and have no real innate artistic talent. Basically I bumble and fumble my way through every project. However, I love the hell out of making art and the feeling I have when I complete a piece is amazing.
Some other things you might want to know (or not):
- In my “real” life, I do marketing for professional services firms, which means I try to make accountants and lawyers look and sound interesting
- I’m a southern girl who married a yankee and we have a young daughter (the mini-idiot in the photo) and a baby boy
- I liked zombies way before everyone else jumped on the undead bandwagon *adjusts hipster glasses judgementally*
- Keeping with the zombie theme, I can boast that in the mid-2000’s, there was a point where I had read every single zombie book available on Amazon
- And another zombie related item, I live where The Walking Dead is filmed and have visited “Woodbury” and “Alexandria” many times
- Did I mention I like zombies?
- I can brag that I worked as a Cast Member at Walt Disney World, I’ve run 5Ks, 10Ks and half-marathons, marched in The Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade and performed in the Opening Ceremonies of the 1996 Olympics in Atlanta
- I love the Atlanta Falcons even though they let me down pretty regularly and go to the games with my dad who has been a season ticket holder since 1969 (the only reason he hasn’t been a season ticket holder since the franchise first started is because he was drafted into the Army, which sort of threw a monkey wrench in his ability to attend home games)
That pretty much sums it up. Got any other questions? Shoot me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.